Thursday 14 May 2015

AD33 - Screen printing the Cat and the Fiddle

This whole process was tedious at first but after a while I became attuned to the techniques. The main reason why I opted for the four colour CMYK option was because I had never done it before and I had always wanted to try it.
Also seeing as this project was based around the study of texture I thought it would be pretty cool to play around with screen prints and get some natural grain effects.


The first time I did a run of screen prints they did not come out as neatly as I had wanted, after consulting Andy we decided that it would be in my best interest to do another run of this image but with a better attention to the small details.

This time Andy showed me how to add in some cardboard edges so that my paper gets held in place whilst I am printing, it also helped me align each page perfectly. This time I also added registration marks so that the alignment would be as close to perfect as it could be.



The image on the far right was one of my first attempts at the image, as you can see is was very washed out and the colours were not true to the original image, my printing technique was pretty rubbish also so that was something that I had to work on. My problem was that I wasn't adding enough pressure when pulling the ink through, that combined with my weaker left side and you could tell how that was going to end.

More the reason for me to keep working at it though.



These ones however came out spot on, after improving my technique and adding in all of the suggested tweaks I managed to pick up the pace by laying 3 of the 4 colours down in one sitting, before it had taken me around 2 days to get it all sorted.


I really love these prints, they turned out pretty good and they are much better than my original attempts. The natural speckling that occurs when pulling the ink through added something really nice to the image.



This project was a big challenge for me but it spilled out such a satisfying reward, I am fairly confident with the screen printing process now and I would definitely like to try my hand at it again and do some more CMYK prints as my artwork translates nicely to this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment