Thursday 14 May 2015

AD33, Nursery rhyme inspiration

For the nursery rhyme project I wanted the images to be very detailed and textured, naturally through experimentation with other images I started to refine a way of working which seemed to look quite Victorian and I liked it. Whilst I was drawing my characters out for the first nursery design (Hey Diddle Diddle) I was looking at Lane Smith's work quite frequently.

The Stinky Cheeseman is a fantastic book illustrated by Smith and I feel that it really helped to inspire that way that I made these images.



This style is really rustic and I love it, Lane makes a lot of cool effects by mixing washing up liquid in with her painting media and it gives this really nice speckled effect. This was something that I wanted to work on throughout this module, I wanted to spend an afternoon or two just throwing things onto a canvas and making a mess.




Keeping within the same theme I found this awesome version of 'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly' illustrated by Jeremy Holmes, who might I add is really good at what he does!
This made me want to try my hand at photo montage, it seemed to suit the kind of style I was going for and it added that extra creepy edge to it.



Speaking of creepy I also remembered the end credits for the film 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' and how much I loved them. Everything looks like one big stage production and even the characters themselves are portrayed as set props moving to the command of the composer.
I have added in the video link below, please take a moment to watch it, they truly are some of the best end credits I have ever seen!







No comments:

Post a Comment