Sunday 10 May 2015

AD33 artist Research - Jordan Race

I have had this illustrator in my bookmarks for a while but have only recently started to look at his work again. I have two different ways of illustrating and sometimes I cannot decide which one to use. This has resulted in a divide in my portfolio and it was worrying me a lot because I didn't know what light that would shine on me in the industry world, does it make me diverse? or does it show that I am indecisive as to where my art style is going?



My way of illustrating one image using both of my styles, an interesting idea and looks pretty good, could maybe be used as some sort of self promotion later on, maybe hand written and digital type could flow around the image and bullet point my skills.


MOVING ON!

I chose Jordan Race because he has two illustrative style and they are both frequent in his online portfolio meaning that they are both relevant, it just depends on what is needed by the client. I also chose him because Jordan is influenced by cartoons from his child hood just as I am.



There is quite a lot going on throughout his portfolio, it's colourful, dynamic and full of some great textures. His style is quite cartoon/ comic themed, there are also elements of humour throughout his images. Most of the images seem to have left a digital signature but perhaps the line work originates from a hand drawn background, I mean some are totally digital like the image in the bottom right hand corner but other pieces such as the one on the bottom left feature a lovely scratched texture.


Jordan is a children's illustrator some work is also acceptable for teens, above is a small collection of images from his site, there is a bit of surface design for skateboards in there along with some backgrounds for video games and also some pages from a children's book so it is all pretty diverse yet it still fits into the children's publishing market.

His children's book titled Bigfoot's small feet is a fairly popular book on amazon maintaining 5 stars in the reviews. From what I can see it was produced and sold by Amazon which is a brilliant client to have landed.

Jordan worked on a small brief for Deviant art which was about the true meaning of tobacco. that site in particular is not a favorite of mine but the concept is a pretty cool one that would have been fun to work on.

As far as promotion goes he doesn't actually have much of an online presence, I mean his website is fairly good but not everything has a label so I can't see the context behind the work. Also I guess his work is promoted through amazon when and if people come across his books but apart from that there is not a lot of promotion going on.


His about section on the webpage is not really that informative and I can't really find any information elsewhere so it is unknown if he is part of an agency or collective.
Jordan's web page has a mix of commissions and personal work but there is no online store where you can get any of his images. Again it is unclear if he has any other jobs that go along side his illustration career but seeing as his site seems a little out of date I would imagine that he must do something else to keep the money coming in.


This guy makes good work, however he does not really promote himself as well as he should and that is something that I should take away from this, my final major project needs to be well documented and published on my professional website for everyone to see. I should also consider sending work off to the right clients.



No comments:

Post a Comment