Sunday 10 May 2015

AD33 - making robot pages - The process

Now because there was a lot of drawing and designing involved for the activity book I found it fairly hard to document every step of every page. Instead I have taken some screen grabs of various images and set out the order in which they came together. It is good to see my artwork at it's various stages of completion as it allows me to reflect back on what could be changed to optimize my workload.

My sketches start out on paper, I then scan that in and use that as my rough guide. Then instead of colouring one thing at a time I set out all of the shapes and their chosen colour, this acts as my colour skeleton.


It starts to get a little confusing when they layers start building up but at this point I am just deciding which shapes go behind other shapes, building up this way allows me to see the final form without committing to final colouring.



Finally I add in small details and any hand lettering that needs to go in. These screens were taken whilst I was in-between two different images so I apologise for the sudden change in image, the method is the same either way. Once I have set everything out I'll go ahead and block in the shapes to begin the final version of the image.



Finally the text goes in and that for the most part is that image completed. I would maybe add in a drop shadow to the text just to bring it out a little.

Also I apologise for the web quality, I assure you the lines are as crisp and tidy as Salvador Dali's facial hair. (perhaps not the best analogy but I am going with it)

No comments:

Post a Comment