Thursday 14 May 2015

AD33 - Building Doctor Foster

This is the third and final nursery rhyme illustration, I am really happy with this one, it might even be my favourite!

The process is very similar to the old lady but there are a few different things that crop up so I will mention them as and when they happen below, but yeah, here is the process for Doctor Foster. 



To start I map out a basic colour swatch so I don't have to colour blind, I had a pretty strong idea about this characters colour scheme before I had even drawn it, I could just visualize these colours. 






Here I am just refining the shapes and making them nice and crisp, it helps that my canvas size is A2, this way my brush sizes can increase and will therefore give me a sharper edge. 



Throwing in background colours and scenery to fill out the image. 

Finalization and adding in shadows and decorative things.






Okay so here is where I make the transition between Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop, and now I am adding a texture layer to the background to enhance it, I wanted to create a dark and murky sky, it is poring down with rain after all.



Here I am adding in a selective texture which will highlight his hair and the church behind him, also the bottom image shows me adding in a heavy texture that will then fit around his jacket. This texture is particular is a little bit special, My mother has finally decided to change the carpet that was on our stairwell for well over 50 years, before she did so I asked If I could borrow a patch of it t scan it. It worked really well! 

Finally I am adding in some light read tints and playing around with the title.
The middle picture shows my first run of the image, I put his name in a textured box and made it slightly opaque although after a short critique with a lecturer I decided to change it to the one below. I prefer this version because the text is really hard to read which I think makes the image's motives a lot more subtle.  

This outcome is my favourite because I think it has a lot of little hidden cameos that suggest his location and the overall colours combined with the selective textures really do it for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment