Sunday 25 May 2014

Self promotion - The final plan pt 1

After creating an illustrated CV, a folding tiki head, some prints and badges i believed it was time to start visualising how my promo pack would come together, whilst i was making the products i did really consider how i would package them. Below is a basic drawing taken from my sketchbook, it maps out the general idea of what i had in mind.



The plan was to make a simple box that would have a monster version of my face printed on the lid, inside there would be a large monster sticker, a set of three badges and my folding tiki heads. I was also going to include a miniature poster but at this point i had only made the items above (minus the box) so i drew the diagram based on that. The though of making packaging intimidated me slightly as i know how long it took me to make boxes before, also getting each unit to look the same is a tedious task. I took a break from packaging and drew out some more monsters, i coloured them and printed them onto envelopes as an experiment. It was then that i realised that my packaging could consist of a custom printed envelope. I decided that i would use my monster print from the envelope task, create a new banner, tuck my stickers and fold out items in the back of the print and then slide it all into an envelope. Maybe I was thinking to far outside of the box and in this case, simple is more effective. 


I think i prefer the white over the brown, it makes the monster pop. I tried to incorporate all 8 of the monsters on the envelope i could only print on one side because of my printers restrictions and if i made them any smaller i would loose too much detail. I tried to add a couple of them to the sides but the print margins were too big and it would not print all the way up to the edge. I like the four singular monsters on the white envelope, it delivers the right amount of info without giving too much away. I thought that it would be cool if i made my own custom stamp that i could use on each envelope along with a real stamp when i send my work away, it would add the finishing touch to the envelope. I decided to use my face as a stamp because; like a regular stamp there is normally a profile image of a person present on the stamp, it is also a good idea because the promo pack is trying to sell me and my work. 



Pretty happy with the finished result, my moustache is as pointy as ever and i look like i haven't slept in about 3 weeks, seems about right. I polished the design off with a green Aztec boarder which helped to crop the image nicely. 





No comments:

Post a Comment