Sunday 25 May 2014

Self promo - Ideas

I did some general research using pinterest, i was looking for ideas that were interesting and a little outside the box, i wanted something the focused more on the quality and presentation of my work as apposed to the informative data that will be present. Following on from the previous module i was interested in making some small resin toys which would have their own retro packaging like the example above in the top left.

It was a good idea but then i remembered how long it took me to actually make these toys, it took around 15 - 20 hours to complete the toys and that was time that i did not really have on this short module so i soon scrapped that idea. There were some really good ideas that i had found online, a lot of them had a quirky little gimmick but It still managed to work as a stand alone print. The Mario dress up print was a particular favourite of mine as everyone knows that character and all of the accessories made complete sense, maybe it would be cool to illustrate a version of myself in that style. Other note able ideas include paper cut tribal masks, wooden carved robots and books with fold out interaction flaps.

In the top image there were quite a few monster themed images that popped up, the envelope task was heavily inspired by monsters and i thought it would be good to research them for the second stage.



Fore the envelope task i made some rough monster stickers, i thought that it would be cool this time if i made some bigger stickers with a lot more detail. Everyone loves a sticker, I also thought that the vibrant colours that come with my style accompany the sticker medium perfectly. The large image in the centre above showed an awesome collection of monsters, i particularly liked the transparent green one.


After looking through my monster board on Pinterest i decided that monsters were definitely the way to go and drew out this transparent alien/monster. I had an idea to use the photocopying technique to layer up some colour and then print the insides over the top so it would give it the transparent look, I instead decided to colour this image digitally as i believed i would get a better effect.





After a long time tweaking layers and messing around the opacity of my colours i eventually ended up with this result (above) I am super happy with the outcome, i managed to change the colour of the outline to green, this seemed to contain the linework whilst merging it with his jelly like body.
I eventually chose to make this monster into a large sticker because a thought the application suited the colours. Keeping with the sticker theme i started to draw out some character designs for Hellboy, i thought he would make a pretty awesome sticker and it would tie in with the general monster theme. Below are some basic sketches, i tried to draw him in a geometric way so that it would tie in with he rest of my work, it was pretty fun to draw an already existing character in my new style.



I went for the centre design in the end because the composition just worked a lot better for me, this way i could also see the whole character which i though was good.  When i get around to printing this one out as a sticker i will more than likely scale it to palm size so that it can neatly tuck into the rest of my work. 


























No comments:

Post a Comment