Tuesday 13 January 2015

Syfy design campaign - A new inspiration

After completing my menu I was feeling super inspired and wanted to create more art in that style, I enjoyed working with shapes and I liked keeping things busy.


I have been a big fan of Andrew Kolb for ages and I love how neat and precise he can be with his illustrations. The Dexter's Laboratory image in particular was screaming at me, it was telling me that I could do something like this, I felt like I was on a roll and the workload kept flowing at this point. Although I loved my scientist Syfy poster design I felt like I could make something a little more busy, maybe think a little more geometric this time as well.

I had an idea to create a Syfy themed weapon wall. (See sketch folder for sketches)

I wanted to keep it well regimented and fairly geometric to see how much I could push my style.

The main idea that I wanted to capture was the idea of the Syfy channel being very at home, the low budget films give off a home made kind of vibe so I wanted a few of the "weapons" to look like every day items that you could find in your house. Some weapons would maybe have a retro science fiction theme to them so that they all tie in together.
Below is a screen shot of the colour mock process which is similar to the way that I mocked up colours for my menu. Just the original inks with some digital colour loosely thrown over the top to give me an idea of where the colours would sit against each other.





Due to the time scale I didn't really have time to alter this image or take any screen shots, I just wanted to commit to something and make it good, I planned this image out fairly well before I started it, I just wanted to let my digital skills do the talking. I am really pleased with these outcomes and it was great to work almost purely using shapes. The blue background was my original palette but I mixed it up with the brown and purple for some variations. The bright background was what kept me focused on the grey weapons, the contrast was needed. These however are not the final images as I felt that the background colour almost took something away from some of the more colourful elements like the hair dryer and the Super Soaker. Below is my finished image,


The black makes everything pop off of the background and it all looks a little more uniform this way. My lecturer mentioned that the Syfy logo maybe shouldn't have the white underline as it doesn't look deliberate but instead looks like a printing mistake. That is something that can easily be changed but for the college deadline I will keep it this way as I think it adds a little depth to the title and makes it look engraved within the metal.  I would definitely like to do more work like this in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment