Tuesday 13 January 2015

Self initiated menu brief - Gaining some ground and starting some roughs

After doing some very rough sketches I started to commit to the Mexican theme, I haven't drawn wrestlers before and I thought it would be fun to do because their costumes are always so decorative and punchy. I started to experiment with words and shapes also, I even tried to write some words in Spanish so that they would fit into the theme. I had experimented with hand written type during the previous module and I came up with some good ideas but I need to take this even further and refine my type even more. For that I constructed a mood board for typography to get some ideas.


I threw together a range of different fonts and images, the burger image on the bottom left corner has some awesome illustrations and a real diverse range of type faces. I even looked at photographed fonts to see how the contrast would work, some look like magazine covers and others symbolize their content like the strawberry and the bread images.



After doing small sketches (see sketch folder) I decided that I needed to see this image on a large scale. Above are two A3 pages depicting the front and back of the menu (right to left). I decided on Luchas for the name as it just looked right and sounded good, also I am a fan of one word names as it is easier to base a design around. Obviously all of these items would be subject to change but I felt the next step should be to link these guys up digitally and start throwing some colour palettes on there to get a feel for the final image.



It seems I watched quite a lot of cartoons as a kid as yet again I have found my inspiration in the form of a cartoon titled MUCHA LUCHA. I used these guys as inspiration to help inform my mask designs and body shapes. There are also some illustrations from Pinterest on here which I added in because they worked together as a group of images.



I also started briefly looking at Mexican illustrations and day of the dead skulls, above are some that I really liked and the guy on the bottom right hand corner was apparently so awesome that I had to throw him in there twice. The Matador illustration was a particular favourite of mine, I liked the way the artist had drawn the hands, I draw hands in a similar way so it was good to find a similarity between our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment