Thursday 29 January 2015

AD34 - Taking my timeline further


The original idea for my timeline was for me to illustrate some of the classics and they would then inform some monsters of my own that would make it onto the end of the timeline. The end result did not exactly end up going that way but after a final talk with my lecturer I came to the conclusion that I have been creating monsters the whole time. Earlier I posted this image along with some other images that came from my first module from the third year, the image above was the one that would inspire three more images for the second module.


I created the three images above for a Syfy channel brief and that got me thinking, what is to stop me expanding on this idea of zoomed in creatures?
I had talked about monstrous scale and letting the imagination do the talking during my essay and I think the above images deal with similar concepts. Maybe a whole children's book could be these zoomed in faces that only show a small part of the monster.

From that I went on to create three more monster in a similar style to the ones above, I wanted to remove the branding of the above poster designs and submit all 6 as a set, this way I would have 6 classic monster illustrations and 6 of my own design.





These three further explore the idea of texture being introduced to the images so that the audience guess what kind of matter they are made from. I went online to see if I could find a list of different textures and I came across some fairly odd ones. The first one is made of some kind of electric matter, the middle one is covered in a lot of gross lumps and the last is mostly wood and moss. They tie in nicely with the three above and work well as a set.





Over all I am really happy with the amount of work I had produced for this module, all of my questions seemed to answer themselves and unfold through me drawing an experimenting. I earlier worried about style and application when thinking about my timeline but through doodles and studying of the subject matter I found my way. It was also great to have such a patient tutor who I am surprised did not loose her mind with the amount of questions and concerns I had fired her way.

The previous modules had helped me build up a style that helped inform my final monster designs and I ended up making double what I originally wanted to do (6).

It was something very different, the dissertation itself was very intimidating at first but I have learnt so much from it and making my own representations of classic picture book monsters has really helped me understand how they work visually and contextually.

As for the six monsters of my own I believe they reflect the techniques and methods I had explored throughout making the artefact and my essay. They have a unique concept as they lead a lot to the imagination which allows the audience to make monsters of their own and engage their imaginations which is what I'd want from a picture book.

It would be nice in the future to push these faces to the limit and see how many different creatures I could come up with, maybe enough to make a 30 page picture book!






No comments:

Post a Comment