Saturday 10 January 2015

Syfy channel campaign - Character finalization



The image on the left shows a developed version of a drawing showed on the last post, I was super keen on the idea and wanted to start rendering it. After having a conversation with my lecturers I reminded myself that I shouldn't rush into things and should instead explore the character. The sketching folder shows the different facial structures and designs I had tried out until I finally reached the image on the right. Much more refined, a better use of the space and a set of characters that are full of emotion. The nose was at a bit of an odd angle before and I had changed that so it would now curve upwards as if it was pressed against the glass. I also took some time to draw some fish characters which again are shown in the sketch folder, although they did stay practically the same it was nice to try out other types of fish to see what would have worked.


I have recently looked at artist Dave DeGrand and he has become one of my favourites, we both seem to share a mutual love for illustrating gaping mouths and green goo oozing from all directions. both of which features have made an appearance in my final linework scientist.




From left to right you can see the evolution of my final image, the first image to the left shows a point where I had thought it was done, after talking with my piers and my lecturers I had decided that the green background was too overpowering and it wasn't really functioning as a background, the top left hand side was also missing something.
The middle image shows a darker background and some slime dotted around, this fitted more into the underground lab scene and was starting to make more sense. I also experimented with the colour of the fluid inside the jar, I wanted to make the character look more immersed.

 Finally the one on the right is the finished image, I added cracks to the walls to make it more apparent that is is a background, the test tubes got some smoke and I added a dark blue fading gradient to give the effect that it is underground. Pretty happy with how it ended up, I also reverted back to the purple gradient effect on the fluid instead of the blue as the background merged too much into the foreground. In the future I need to focus on the background, I need to draw more elements and get used to drawing a scene so that my characters will better interact with their surroundings. In this case the character is not interacting with the background but it is a skill worth investing in as an illustrator/character designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment