Wednesday 5 November 2014

Summer work - The write up


Over the summer I wanted to keep a constant flow of work going to get me ready for the fast deadlines to come in the third year. I wanted to keep it fun though and I would often draw my own stuff to stop me from thinking that it was a chore. This however was not the case as I started to enjoy creating my sketchbook pages for the upcoming module; I finally homed in on a style or two that I am confident with and because of such I could just jump straight in. A lot of the pages were just working from the text book that we were given, I would take parts of the text and just go my own way with it really. I also included a bunch of random things that I myself found during my summer, there are a few pages dedicated to musician Bob Peck who just writes these ridiculous yet catchy songs. There are also illustrations based on nursery rhymes in there, they actually started the ball rolling and helped me gain an idea of what I wanted to do for the chosen story task. I made a bunch of posters over the summer as well, some were influenced by text from the book, some were my own quotes that I found and others were just for fun.

The large ‘Bug Wars’ piece was lightly inspired by the section of text about collective nouns for insects, one of which being an army of ants. It’s also nice to reflect on these images now that the module is almost over as another workshop involved us creating images based on those collective nouns and my outcome was completely different.

The piece named ‘Under Da Sea’ was just for a laugh, I wanted to see if I could make an image out of nothing, I did not map out the composition of that image, my goal was to make up elements as I went along as composite them accordingly. I think for a first attempt it turned out pretty well and also helped me gain some ground when dealing with my synchronised swimming workshop as it helped me understand how I emulate water.

The piece name ‘HYDE’ was another one for fun, I was looking at monsters for my dissertation and Jekyll and Hyde was one of the more popular searches, a lot of illustrations I found depicted the two characters within one image which I found interesting. After getting inspired by these illustrations I wanted to give myself the challenge of making my own depiction of Jekyll and Hyde. This poster ended up being my favourite just because I feel that the colours and my emulation of smoke really set the scene.

‘The Early Bird Catches the Worm’ was one of the more solid images for me, it started off as just a doodle but I just couldn’t stop working on it, it was a good training session that helped me speed up my process as this image was completed within the day. After printing it out it got some good feedback on my Instagram and Facebook page. Over the summer an art collective group got in contact with me over Instagram and wanted to showcase one of my pieces, they also wanted to make it into a tee shirt which was pretty awesome. The guy never set an exact deadline for the submission and mentioned that I could email him whenever I was ready. After starting the module I completely forgot about it but once the hand in has happened I think I will use this image for the tee shirt design, I get some percent of the sales if the sell any of my shirts and it is free publicity which can’t really be frowned at.

The image named ‘MANTIS 3D’ was an image I made in response to some text from the book about putting 3D glasses on a praying mantis to see how they perceive depth, apparently they are the only insects to be able to do such a thing. I thought this was fantastic and had to draw it out, in my sketch folder there is a version that I attempted to make 3D but I wasn’t sure if it actually worked. Either way I wanted it to look like a retro horror movie poster and I think I captured that pretty well. One of my favourites from this series.

I worked on a bunch of other images and sketches over the summer but as they are either on a digital space or on spare bits of paper I would have found it hard to psychically include them in the project but all of it has gone on one of my portfolio pages which I will include here just to cover everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment