Sunday 2 November 2014

Mini workshops - The Museum of Spectres and Spooks - figuring things out


When this workshop started we were given a specific Pinterest board to look at, we then had to choose three images from said board that would help to inspire our image. The three images that I chose will be in another post.

Above is a collection of images that I looked at to get inspired for this workshop although I was already excited because this one really appealed to my interests as an illustrator. I am a huge fan of monsters, aliens and all things gruesome and because of such I wanted to get stuck into this workshop before we had even been fully briefed!

As per usual I looked into cartoon ghosts, some of which were from some of my favorite childhood cartoons such as Scooby Doo and Spongebob Squarepants. I've always been a big fan of cartoon monsters as they never really seem to scare me and their exaggerated features just make for great characters. Things that are green and glow in the dark also just appealed to me both when I was a child and now, I do enjoy a good glow in the dark sticker.




Moving on I had a look at Aaron Blecha who is an absolute boss!
I found him whilst I was on my Internship at Hallmark and he is just amazing, he has worked with clients such as Disney and Cartoon Network, he has also illustrated kids books and even has his own brand of Cola!

As far as aspects go this is exactly where i'd like to be as an illustrator. His work is vast and stretches all across the board, reaching out to a younger audience whilst still being able to please the masses and gain all types of commissions. His character design is fantastic and everything has this toxic look to it which is pretty awesome. This was sort of what I was hinting on in the above paragraph, grungy and gooey aspects just appeal to the male audience, in a stereotypical way of course. Boys like monsters and farting, it's simple maths!



No comments:

Post a Comment