Tuesday 11 November 2014

AD 32 - Artist Research - Charlie Padgett


Charlie Padgett was another artist from my illustration research folder. This one is a little different as I chose him because I feel like the characters we design share similar traits and the concept of his images largely work around a character as the centre piece. I also chose him because he uses some crazy colour palates and unique texture shading methods which aren't to different to my own. Upon first glance I'd say that his work was hand painted but after a closer inspection I believe it is rendered digitally and the textures and then emulated. I like to work in a similar way at times as I am not very strong with hand painting my images, it is something I have not really played around with, though I prefer going through the digital route as it best plays to my strengths.



A closer look at some of the images reveal my earlier suspitions, I can see custom made brushes used on the yellow image on the left as well as obvious varying speech mark opacity layers around the characters mouth. The image on the right is a little harder to tell but I still believe it's digital, nothing on his sites really explain his design process, I know from first hand experience that you can make brushed that emulate a traditional style.





Its throw back time!
Above is one of my images from second year, it was my first attempt at digital colouring without any line work. I felt like this would be a good example of emulating traditional methods, it has a acrylic like look to it when in reality it was digitally drawn using Sketchbook Pro.

Padgett works within illustration and graphic design, designing logos for campaigns and having books published for kids to name a few. He has quite a broad range of work and he stretches himself nicely across the board having designed apps, posters TV ads and even record covers. His big name clients include Happen Inc and Shake it records. Although his workload is quite broad he has quite a lot of editorial clients so i'd say that's where his work is at its comfort zone.
In addition to his wide client list I'd say his images are fun and informative and id say that they are mainly aimed at a younger audience. The naive characters and strong fiction based scenarios support my assumption in response to his target audience.





Above is an image Charlie illustrated, it was to go with an editorial concerning the 'cloak of anonymity' that becomes present online and how it brings out the worst in people. This was quite a cool concept, one that I can understand and relate to, it would have been cool to work on something like this. I like how Charlie illustrated the person as a monster, that directly engaged my interests as an image maker and I would have gone down a similar route if I got to illustrate this editorial.

This guy doesn;t really have a great online presence as he only seems to have two online portfolio sites. His work has been applied to editorials, apps and posters, all of which are naturally pushing his work out for the public to see, maybe he doesn't have many sites because he feels his work promotes him enough.

Padgett works as an art director for 3feet Factory and previously he had worked as an art director for Curiosity Advertising, Wondergroup and Barefoot advertising. Through many years of experience as an art director he would have naturally gained some strong contacts within the field, enough to give him a good amount of exposure should he need it. I couldn't find an online store for Charlie though his site mentioned that he made a series of prints, maybe that was for a client to then sell on. Most of his work seems to have came from his full time job, 3feet Factory works to develop original content, stories and images to be viewed on digital devices. A lot of images from his portfolio site seem to have come from his every day job, it's good to see the two sides of his profession come together.




No comments:

Post a Comment