Sunday 2 November 2014

Mini workshops - The Museum of Spectres and Spooks


Here is my finished ghost poster design, pretty happy with it overall and I feel good about my first proper hand rendered type of this module. I have taken inspiration from Aaron Blecha and came up with a style that works for me, one that I am confident in using. If I was to be really picky I would move the word 'THE' up a little to the right to centre it but I don't think it hinders the composition at all.

If you look through my sketch folder you can see that I made a spider diagram depicting where I wanted to go with this workshop, this one is the one that I am most excited about and because of such I had quite a lot of ideas.




One of the first things I wanted to do was create a flyer for the museum. The image above shows the development from ink to digital colouring, I wasn't a big fan of the image in the middle so I played around with just having a glowing face in the middle of the flyer. That idea was a lot better but I still felt like it could evolve some more, it could be better.




Above is my revisited and enhanced flyer, it looks much better now after I decided that the whole canvas would act as my slimy ghost. I threw my design onto some tee shirt templates also, the blue was just to experiment but the green one is pretty cool. I liked using a few black lines to add in details, the artwork and style has evolved since the first poster design and I like where it's going.





The tickets above were the first thing I made after the poster, the little green ghost in the bottom right hand side of the poster was my favorite so I wanted to incorporate him as part of the ticket. I think i prefer the bottom version as it seems to glow more and the square texture in the background makes it look more plush and ready for print. I designed it so that the purple line would be perforated so that the owner can keep the ghost as a memento, I also left out some of the details because I wanted to include a flyer with every ticket. This was a smart move as I didn't want to have too much type on my image and now it balances out nicely. Obviously for an adult ticket i'd just switch out the part that says 'CHILD' and i'd also just bump the price up.




I have also made a welcome sign to direct the people who come to the museum. This one has a mixture of full line work and pure colour inking, thought I would combine two of my styles and blend them into one, I think it works well.







After playing around with my design I actually decided that the black background is better and it makes everything a lot easier to understand. I'd like a green text though maybe to match the green glow around the hand.




I think I have narrowed it down to two designs. I think I like the one on the left more, simple and too the point. The other one has a more ghostly look but it seems a little harsh on the eyes. Might just want to brighten up the green text a hint more to get that glowing ooze effect,



Right I have revisited this ten thousand times and now I feel like it should be either of the above two. Just not sure about keeping the hand green as I worked hard to get a nice skin colour on the original image. I shall try the image with just the text being green and then i'd like to move on.




This is it, I think this is what I wanted from the beginning but I took the long way around to get here. Nice and simple, green text, enhanced the colour with a neon green layer mask and now I am happy with it. Time to move on and extend this workshop even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment