Tuesday 30 September 2014

Stormalong - cartoon connections?



My chosen story is about a giant sea captain who goes by the name of Alfred Stormalong. He appears in various sea shanties and folk tales and is one of the greats and shares the throne with other folk giants such as Paul Bunyan. I have already written a story synopsis and began character generation in my sketchbooks so I won't post it all again on here but I wanted to post some thematic research on here because I dislike sticking images in a book. There is an awesome cartoon that runs on cartoon network called the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack which has some beautiful characters and scenery. That stuff aside I have recently noticed that the harbor in the program is named Stormalong, coincidence? Maybe but the harbor is large, so large in fact that it is it's own island, Stormalong's ship was so large that he could never dock it meaning he was constantly at sea. The Fan art above also shows this giant creature dwelling below the harbor which matches Stormalong's description pretty well, both Stormalong and his ship the Courser were incredibly huge so the harbor could be parodying either.



If we look at the image above you can see that the harbor has a mini village on it, there is also a giant galleon which could even be the Courser. 



Above is a screen cap from the cartoon, there appears to be a large octopus character which lies deep under the harbor, this character is also seen in the first image at the bottom of the sea. Stormalong had a famous feud with a giant octopus like creature which further supports my theory that this entire island and show is loosely based around the old Cap'n Stormalong, which I think is pretty cool!  


No comments:

Post a Comment