Monday 6 October 2014

The museum of spectres and spooks - Making my final design











This poster took me a little while to throw together but I am happy with the overall outcome. 
From top to bottom you can see the basic path that my imagery took and how I built it up over time. This piece is heavily reliant on digital rendering, the original line work was only used as a guide and was not incorporated into the final image. Throughout the process I was thinking about transparency and how each characters value would affect the end product. Just above you can see two finished images, I am not yet sure which one to go with, the one on the left has a creepy feel to it where as the one on the right feels more Halloween influenced. Either way I am happy with the composition and ready to move on. Because each character is fairly polished off I feel like they could easily be applied as singular elements to other objects such as tickets, badges and even tee shirts. 





We got given a Pinterest board to look through and we were to select three that we liked the most, we then had to apply the influence to our artwork whilst still keeping it our own work. The first image above is of 'the Creature From The Black Lagoon' and I liked it because of it's angular style and awesome vintage horror font. The colour schemes are quite simple and some of the corners look like there are shaded with a spray paint like texture which is also a similar texture i use to shade my images.  The main influence here is the way the text is placed at an angle and it works well, because of such I have angled some of my text in a similar way. 



The second image was again chosen because of it's vintage look and awesome fonts. My main text was designed to look like some kind of ectoplasmic goo and is similar to the blood text above. I also incorporated some bats into my imagery because they matched the 'spooky' theme but by coincidence they take inspiration from this poster. 

 Finally I chose this poster because of its simple angular character designs, elements such as my skulls, bats and mini ghosts were created with this simple design in mind. Because they are simple they stand out and act as strong communication elements for my image, it is also these elements that allow themselves to get reused on other supporting objects such as badges and tickets. 


When I have chosen which final image I want to use I will upload it but for the moment I'll need to move on and focus on another brief.

More to come soon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment