Sunday 26 April 2015

AD33 - Initial children's book research


Before I even really know what I wanted to do for my final major project I knew that I wanted it to fit into the children's illustration category. Because of this I went on a mission to Waterstones and raided the children's section for a few hours to conduct some "Primary research".
The first books I went for were the crazy circle and find books as they were sure to be bursting with busy double page illustrations, I was not disappointed.
My original idea was to invent a character and then place him within three separate illustrated scenes where you would have to not only find him but an array of other thematic objects too. After illustrating my children's menu I wanted to keep that busy style flowing.



I then moved on to sticker based activity books, I had a big soft spot for this kind of books when I was younger and I had a rush of nostalgia after looking through all of these books. The image on the bottom left corner was a section from a range of Usborne sticker books, they had aliens, monsters, cavemen and more, I liked them so much that I ended up leaving the store that day with the alien version!




There were a lot of different styles of children's activity book, I mean some were purely based around stickers where you had to extend an environment and add characters, others were based around busy imagery and you then had to find a lot of different objects within the confusion. Additionally some books seemed to be a bit of a mix, the ones above were a bit more broad and it involved a wide range of tasks so it seemed like every page was completely isolated in terms of the task being delivered.



Finally here are a few more interesting activity based illustrations I had found. There were a lot of super heroes and robots on the shelves, a lot of which had activities that allowed you to either build your own robot or become a super hero yourself, the D.I.Y element was definitely something to take away from it.









No comments:

Post a Comment