Friday 3 May 2013

Art and Language conclusion

This project has been a massive journey, i have learned a load of new techniques and have advanced myself further as an image maker. This time i thought that i would try a bunch of new techniques which i have never done before so i can see how the final outcome varies from my normal work. I have worked using a scalpel to cut away from paper to form three dimensional images which worked to great effect though they were time consuming. Most of my second stage was spent trying to figure out ways to fake the cut out effect, i wanted to make silhouettes but without the hassle of having to cut out every detail. To solve this i drew out my images by hand and then went over the outline, i then scanned the outline into Adobe illustrator and image traced my work so that the image was then a vector shape. I then imported the image into photoshop and flood filled it black. In the long run this took about as much effort as it would have cutting them out by hand.

 After slowly giving up on my original book cover idea i started to get away from the silhouettes and work more simply. Thomas Flintham was my salvation at this point, though i did start to look at his work a little late in the project. Flintham works in a really simple way but he fills his image with beautiful lines and detail, quite a bit like Tom Gauld. I started working with him as an inspiration for a while and before i knew it i had my final idea at the ready. For future projects i really need to blog things as i go along just to save time and to make things more efficient. I also wanted to start getting into the habit of posting my thoughts at the time i think it so then i can see a clearer journey to my end product.

Finally i need to plan my work out more and take it step by step, at the moment i am jumping too far ahead and although it is easy for me to understand where i am going it is not so clear to everyone else as to where my idea is going.

To sum up the project it was incredibly fun and i learned a lot more about how to structure images as well as which elements to use when making them. I never thought that text was that important to an image but after finishing this project i can now say that text is just as important as the image if not more important. Learning how to wrap text around my image so that it complements the piece was key step in learning how to composite a piece of work which successfully conveys information but is also easy on the eyes and legible.

No comments:

Post a Comment