Thursday 2 May 2013

art and language, artist research - Jhonen Vasquez

Jhonen Vasquez is the creator of Invader Zim which was a brilliant cartoon about an alien invader named Zim who tried to live a normal life under disguise as a normal human. His art is very loose in terms of the the elements of the character but the way he builds his images can become very geometric. I used Vasquez to influence one of my quotes for Ben's task, i really like how loose his art is but i also like how he builds his image of geometric shapes.
This is one of the characters from Invader Zim, Vasquez limits features of the characters which make them easier to animate, removing features can sometimes be a risky move because the character will loose it animated qualities like it's fingers or it's feet. i like the two tone colouring as well, it separates the different sections of the character in such a simplistic way. I need to note down his colouring technique because sometimes my work gets a bit too complicated and it would be nice to tone down my work in this way! 


Just another character from Invader Zim!
very similar to Tim Burton's style of character creation.

Zim only appears to have two, maybe three fingers which when made into a fist almost become completely opaque leaving him with just a square for a hand. the way this character is drawn inspired my design for the quote "Zach! ima fish". I used Zim as a bench mark for my design.  

Vasquez also worked on a show called 9th grade ninja which still used the simple two colour shading  technique and it looks really effective here, at this point my character is coming along well and is nearly finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment